Skip to main content

More Christmas thoughts

IF THAT ISN'T LOVE
He left the splendor of heaven,
Knowing His destiny
Was the lonely hill of Golgotha,
There to lay down His life for me.
~ by Dottie Rambo

The song "If That Isn't Love" by Dottie Rambo comes to mind when I think about what Jesus left when He came to earth that Christmas so long ago.  "He left the splendor of heaven!"  How beautiful heaven must be!  And yet He gave that up, already knowing that He was going to die a horrible death on the cross, so that I can one day be in heaven with Him.  As the song says, He came "to lay down His life for me."

In order to understand what Jesus gave up, I believe you have to understand Who Jesus is.  According to the Bible, Jesus is the Word, and He was in the very beginning with God.  Everything was made by Jesus. Nothing was made without Him.  He is also life, and the light of man (John 1:1-5).   If you go back to the very first book of the Bible, the very first chapter, you find that God created the heaven and the earth.  He spoke it into being.  If Jesus created everything (based on John), and God created everything (based on Genesis), you have to understand that Jesus and God are one and the same.  Hebrews 1 tells us that Jesus is God's Son, and that He is the Heir of all things.  He is the one who upholds all things "by the word of His power."  He also "sat down on the right hand of the Mighty on high."  And He is so much better than the angels!  In John 14:8-15 Jesus further states that He and the Father are one.  If you have seen the Son, you have seen the Father.  Jesus gave up, for a time, His position in heaven, His position as the Creator, His position as the One Who holds the world together.  Oh, and He was rejected by God -- remember on the cross where He cried out "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" (Matthew 27:46)  How unspeakable that must have been!

So, why did He come?  Matthew 1:21 says "And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins."  There is no other way to everlasting life with the Father.  Jesus Himself said in John 14:6 "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."  He is not a way out of many.  He is the only way to everlasting life with the Father. And John 3:16-17 very clearly states  "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.  For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world: but that the world through him might be saved."  He didn't come to punish us.  He came to heal us spiritually, for eternity!

Jesus sole purpose in coming to earth, being born as a baby and being tempted as we are (only without sinning), was to die on the cross as the perfect payment for our sins.  Revelation 13:8 tells us that Jesus is "the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world." Before the world was even created!!!

What did He GAIN when He came?  If you have accepted Jesus as your personal Saviour, He gained you.  For all eternity.  He was willing to lay down His life so you could be with Him!  II Peter 3:9 sums it up, "The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."  He gives you time to make your decision, but remember indecision can become a decision, as well.

Have a very merry CHRISTmas, and a wonderful new year!  And if you haven't made the most important decision of your life, don't wait any longer.

~Reese 

Comments

  1. Oh thank God to be saved by mercy! I cannot imagine how I would have survived this world without the love of the King!

    I'm your newest follower from (In)Courage. My blog's a mess right now as I redo somethings and move urls, but stop by anyway! I've followed all of your media sources :)

    Merry Christmas!

    ♥Mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mel! I told my mom the other day that if I were not a Christian, I would really be a very bitter woman! I, too thank the Lord for His salvation!

    I hope you and yours have a very wonderful Christmas!

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Artesian Wells, Creeks and Downtown Prattville, Alabama

When you put these two photos together, what do you think you get?  You got it, a rope swing waiting for some daring young (or old) soul to swing out over the creek and create a big splash! This is Autauga Creek, which cuts through the heart of downtown Prattville.  In fact this very section of the creek, along with it's rope swing, is about a minute from downtown, and is located beside one of Prattville's many artesian wells, which is actually what I had gone to see.   I had heard about the wells, where people take their water bottles (I'm talking the BIG kind) and fill them up on a regular basis.  But I had never actually been there.  And to think it is absolutely FREE?!?  I had to see for myself... Sure enough, when I pulled into the lot at the Doster Road Artesian Well House I was not alone.  A car was ahead of me and the man was filling his large, blue water bottle, the kind you normally see dispensing water at your office.  While I was waiting I tr

The Wilderness Park, Prattville, Alabama: Taking a Break in the Park

Yesterday morning I decided to grab my camera, ditch the outdoor chores, and head to the Wilderness Park here in Prattville, Alabama.  I'm so glad I did!  Although I wore flip flops, which was a poor choice for a roughly 1/2 mile hike, it was not that bad because I was constantly pausing to take pictures.  It was nice to get away from the routine for a while.  As I was pulling into the parking lot, an older gentleman and his dog were getting in their car to leave.  As I wandered the path, I came upon a young couple relaxing on one of the many park benches, kicked back and chatting.  And as you'll see in one of the later pictures, young lovers have left their mark, too. As you follow the path, the patch slopes down, leading you deeper into the park.  Shortly you come to a "Y", and if you take a right, you will go over the dam.  Above is a photo of the path going over the dam, with bamboo draping across, forming a canopy.  Looking off to the right side of t

$25.00 Gift Certificate Giveaway -- Change can be a good thing!

Here's a departure from my usual post.  Have you thought about changing up your home decor?  Let's take the dining room, for instance.  What is your preference?  Is it modern dining room furniture ?  Do you like the country style?  How about minimalist?  Or are you like me and is it traditional? Actually, I would say I am a throw back to the lines of the 1950s and 1960s.  I love the burnished nickel or brass, the clean lines, etc., you find on furniture common to that era.  My dining room, however, has a touch of everything.  I inherited my grandparents' dining table and chairs, which is absolutely beautiful.  I also inherited their corner china cabinet which was made by my dad for my grandparents' 25th wedding anniversary .  I also have a framed mirror in shades of silver. Everything looks good and goes well with my hardwood floors.  Maybe I should just update the curtains or the linens.  I think I'll head over to CSN Stores (which has over 200 online stores and