Skip to main content

Lazy Country Days

Bumblebee in mom's wisteria.
I woke up early Saturday morning (unusual for me!!) and enjoyed a long phone call with a friend.  When I was through, an old fashioned country breakfast was waiting -- steak, biscuits and gravy.  Yum!!   I had spent Friday night with my grandmother out at her place in the country (on my parents' place).  We hung pictures on her freshly painted walls -- some of us girls got together the Saturday before and painted the inside of her home for her.  Saturday morning was spent enjoying time with Nanny. 


Knockout rose in mom's garden.

When in the country invariably I end up working in the garden.  My mom had dug up and separated some of her zebra grass and left them for me to re-plant in my own yard.  She also told me I could have one of her crape myrtles if I could dig it up.  Believe me, I dug it up!  It took a lot of work, I got bitten by ants, and I ended up having to use a pruner to cut one of the tough roots, but I dug it up.  It barely fit in the trunk of my car.  She also gave me some of her wisteria.  I want to plant that on the swing arbor in my own back yard.  Can't wait to smell it!!



Jasmine dripping off pergola by pond.

I can never go down to the country  without taking my camera.  There is always something new to see, some new perspective on life.  Such as the photo at the top of the page with the bumblebee in the wisteria. The smells are incredible this time of year!  The jasmine is also blooming, and between the jasmine and the wisteria, bumblebees were everywhere!  Color is just dripping off my mom's garden.  Right now yellows, purples, reds, whites, are all mingling together. 

Doesn't it look like it smells good?

And speaking of dripping, I sort of took some unauthorized photos of my mom's laundry!  I couldn't resist. The look is so relaxing, and seeing it blowing in the breeze, feeling that same breeze brushing against my skin, was almost a vacation...(I think I need to take one of those soon!)  Just don't tell her I've put her laundry out for the world to see!  
Mom's laundry-- really hope she doesn't see this one!  hee, hee...
I left for home a little after lunch after spending more quality time with Nanny and my sister.  Once I got home, I had a lot of work to do.  My own yard needed to be taken care of. The yard needed to be cut, and I needed to plant what I had taken from my mom's. The zebra grass went down one property line, the crape myrtle went by the house at the end of that same property line.  Then I planted a couple of yellow, fragrant roses inside the zebra grass border.  I had to buy another rose to go with the other two. One should always have odd numbers planted or grouped together...
 
Knockout rose in mom's garden.
How do you relax?  Do you like to work in your yard?  Do you like to do needlework, play music, or read?  Hunt or fish?  In Genesis, the very first book of the Bible, God created the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested. He didn't need to rest, but He was setting a precendent for us.  Even Jesus, in the New Testament, found it important to set aside time to rest alone.  In the same way it's important for us to rest, to relax, to renew our hearts and minds.  Aside from spending time in God's word and in church, we need to find things that clear our minds, hearts and bodies of stress.  This time of year, Saturdays in the garden do it for me! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artesian Wells, Creeks and Downtown Prattville, Alabama

When you put these two photos together, what do you think you get?  You got it, a rope swing waiting for some daring young (or old) soul to swing out over the creek and create a big splash! This is Autauga Creek, which cuts through the heart of downtown Prattville.  In fact this very section of the creek, along with it's rope swing, is about a minute from downtown, and is located beside one of Prattville's many artesian wells, which is actually what I had gone to see.   I had heard about the wells, where people take their water bottles (I'm talking the BIG kind) and fill them up on a regular basis.  But I had never actually been there.  And to think it is absolutely FREE?!?  I had to see for myself... Sure enough, when I pulled into the lot at the Doster Road Artesian Well House I was not alone.  A car was ahead of me and the man was filling his large, blue water bottle, the kind you normally see dispensing water at your office.  While I was waiting I tr

$25.00 Gift Certificate Giveaway -- Change can be a good thing!

Here's a departure from my usual post.  Have you thought about changing up your home decor?  Let's take the dining room, for instance.  What is your preference?  Is it modern dining room furniture ?  Do you like the country style?  How about minimalist?  Or are you like me and is it traditional? Actually, I would say I am a throw back to the lines of the 1950s and 1960s.  I love the burnished nickel or brass, the clean lines, etc., you find on furniture common to that era.  My dining room, however, has a touch of everything.  I inherited my grandparents' dining table and chairs, which is absolutely beautiful.  I also inherited their corner china cabinet which was made by my dad for my grandparents' 25th wedding anniversary .  I also have a framed mirror in shades of silver. Everything looks good and goes well with my hardwood floors.  Maybe I should just update the curtains or the linens.  I think I'll head over to CSN Stores (which has over 200 online stores and

The Wilderness Park, Prattville, Alabama: Taking a Break in the Park

Yesterday morning I decided to grab my camera, ditch the outdoor chores, and head to the Wilderness Park here in Prattville, Alabama.  I'm so glad I did!  Although I wore flip flops, which was a poor choice for a roughly 1/2 mile hike, it was not that bad because I was constantly pausing to take pictures.  It was nice to get away from the routine for a while.  As I was pulling into the parking lot, an older gentleman and his dog were getting in their car to leave.  As I wandered the path, I came upon a young couple relaxing on one of the many park benches, kicked back and chatting.  And as you'll see in one of the later pictures, young lovers have left their mark, too. As you follow the path, the patch slopes down, leading you deeper into the park.  Shortly you come to a "Y", and if you take a right, you will go over the dam.  Above is a photo of the path going over the dam, with bamboo draping across, forming a canopy.  Looking off to the right side of t