Skip to main content

BOOK REVIEW: The Healing Quilt

By:  Wanda E. Brunstetter
Published 2014
Shiloh Run Press

The Healing Quilt tells several stories at once.  The main characters are Emma and Lamar, an older Amish couple who are spending the winter in Florida because of Lamar's arthritis.  Emma is out of sorts, missing her friends and her pastimes, but Lamar seems to be thriving.  When Emma and Lamar begin thinking about what they can do to help Emma, they decide to try teaching a quilting class.  The classes they had back in their home state of Indiana went over well, and Lamar thinks the same thing will happen in Florida.

Several people sign up for the class.  One is Jennifer who is a young expectant mother whose husband has lost his job as a cook.  They are struggling financially and don't have the extra money for the class.  However Jennifer receives a note telling her the class has been paid for and she happily attends. 

BJ is a retired school teacher from Chicago who has been told he has terminal cancer.  He has daughters who helped him fight cancer the last go around, but he does not want to tell them this time.  He feels it is best for all that the girls don't know.  He has come to Florida to make fulfill some final goals, one of which is painting a seascape.  When he learns of the quilting class, he decides to give it a try and intends to give his completed quilt to his granddaughter so she will have something to remember him by.

Kim is a waitress who is afraid of losing her new job.  She is fresh from a breakup with a boyfriend, having followed him to Florida thinking he was the one. 

Mike takes the quilting class by default when his wife Phyllis, who took one class, is called out of state to take care of her sister.  Since Mike's boat, which is his livelihood, is having repairs done, he takes Phyllis' place, with Phyllis intending Mike to teach her how to quilt when she returns home in a few weeks.

Erika is a teenage girl who lost her mother, then lost the use of her legs in a diving accident.  She is reclusive, and in a desperate attempt to get her interested in something other than herself, her father signs her up for the quilting class.

Noreen is a retired widow who wants something new in her life.  She has tried a sporty car, thinking when she has gotten her fill of the wind in her hair she will settle for another.  She is concerned with the welfare of former students and plans to attend an upcoming reunion of her students.  She is not actively looking for male companionship, but if someone comes along, she just might be interested.  When she disastrously tries to highlight her hair, she ends up with a laughable color and feels she has to hide under scarves, desperately trying to wash out the horrid color.

All of these people come to Emma and Lamar with problems and needs that they are not willing to share.  Some come to the class hoping to learn something new.  Others feel they have been forced into the class and act accordingly.  Emma and Lamar grow frustrated, seeing the needs of their students but not knowing how to help them. Lamar continuously reminds Emma that if God wants them to help, He will show them the way.

During the course of the six weeks past students of Emma and Lamar show up, and changes are made in the lives of the students.  Changes that are not always easy, and are sometimes quite painful.  And some changes tat are quite surprising.

For me, the book started out very slowly.  It was frustrating jumping from character to character with each new chapter.  Some parts seemed disjointed and dry.  However, I finished the book and found it okay.  Not as good as some of Ms. Brunstetter's other books. 

This book is one of a series.  If you wish to learn more about Ms. Brunstetter, check out her website

In order to comply with new Federal Trade Commission regulations, please note that this book was provided compliments of Handlebar Hub's book review program.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artesian Wells, Creeks and Downtown Prattville, Alabama

When you put these two photos together, what do you think you get?  You got it, a rope swing waiting for some daring young (or old) soul to swing out over the creek and create a big splash! This is Autauga Creek, which cuts through the heart of downtown Prattville.  In fact this very section of the creek, along with it's rope swing, is about a minute from downtown, and is located beside one of Prattville's many artesian wells, which is actually what I had gone to see.   I had heard about the wells, where people take their water bottles (I'm talking the BIG kind) and fill them up on a regular basis.  But I had never actually been there.  And to think it is absolutely FREE?!?  I had to see for myself... Sure enough, when I pulled into the lot at the Doster Road Artesian Well House I was not alone.  A car was ahead of me and the man was filling his large, blue water bottle, the kind you normally see dispensing water at your office.  While I was waiting I tr

$25.00 Gift Certificate Giveaway -- Change can be a good thing!

Here's a departure from my usual post.  Have you thought about changing up your home decor?  Let's take the dining room, for instance.  What is your preference?  Is it modern dining room furniture ?  Do you like the country style?  How about minimalist?  Or are you like me and is it traditional? Actually, I would say I am a throw back to the lines of the 1950s and 1960s.  I love the burnished nickel or brass, the clean lines, etc., you find on furniture common to that era.  My dining room, however, has a touch of everything.  I inherited my grandparents' dining table and chairs, which is absolutely beautiful.  I also inherited their corner china cabinet which was made by my dad for my grandparents' 25th wedding anniversary .  I also have a framed mirror in shades of silver. Everything looks good and goes well with my hardwood floors.  Maybe I should just update the curtains or the linens.  I think I'll head over to CSN Stores (which has over 200 online stores and

The Wilderness Park, Prattville, Alabama: Taking a Break in the Park

Yesterday morning I decided to grab my camera, ditch the outdoor chores, and head to the Wilderness Park here in Prattville, Alabama.  I'm so glad I did!  Although I wore flip flops, which was a poor choice for a roughly 1/2 mile hike, it was not that bad because I was constantly pausing to take pictures.  It was nice to get away from the routine for a while.  As I was pulling into the parking lot, an older gentleman and his dog were getting in their car to leave.  As I wandered the path, I came upon a young couple relaxing on one of the many park benches, kicked back and chatting.  And as you'll see in one of the later pictures, young lovers have left their mark, too. As you follow the path, the patch slopes down, leading you deeper into the park.  Shortly you come to a "Y", and if you take a right, you will go over the dam.  Above is a photo of the path going over the dam, with bamboo draping across, forming a canopy.  Looking off to the right side of t