Skip to main content

It's Foggy ...


Fog rising in the woods at my parents' place.  Photo courtesy of my mother.

Ever try driving down a foggy road, where you can't see very far into the distance?  You drive with a good deal of caution tempered with dogged trust and determination.  That's what happened to me yesterday morning.  The Alabama River snakes it's way back and forth through the hills and valleys of Autauga and Elmore Counties, and alongside Interstate 65 heading south into the city of Montgomery.  I live in Prattville, whose elevation is considerably higher than that of Montgomery.  As soon as I got in the car I knew the drive to work would be anything but fun.  I was right!  Coming down out of the hills and onto the Interstate, I could see maybe three or four cars ahead of me.  I gripped the steering wheel, watched my speed and the speed of others, and headed for town.  What's really tricky is that at one point in the ten miles between Prattville and Montgomery, traffic merges onto the Interstate from the Millbrook area.  And when it does, it generally congests and even stops the three lanes of traffic heading south.  Thankfullyschool is out this week and a lot of folks stayed home yesterday.  Otherwise this merging traffic, combined with the low visibility, could have caused some serious problems.

Photo courtesy of my mother, Glenda Coon.
Life's like that, isn't it?  The fog of life hovers over us and we don't see what we are heading into.  We don't know what good and bad experiences lie ahead.  When I think about it, I consider that a good thing.  How would I live my life if I knew about the bad experiences I would have?  Or how would I live my life if I knew about the good experiences that were ahead?  In either case I certainly wouldn't be thinking of the present, but the future.  And I would miss out on the blessings of the present. 

The Bible talks about the same thing when Jesus said to consider the lilies of the field, or when he talked about the birds of the air.  Neither thought of or worried over the future, just the present.  They were under God's protection.  This certainly doesn't mean we shouldn't plan for our futures.  Jesus also taught a parable of the three servants who were given portions of the master's money.  One refused to invest and buried it in the ground.  The other two were wise and made good returns on their investments.  God honored blessed the two wise servants, while the foolish servant had to suffer the consequences of his inaction.

The key is we should not worry about the future, but we should make wise preparations.  Nothing can happen to us that is not under God's control. Like the fog, go in with the lights on, the hands on the wheel, prepared to make adjustments as dictated by the circumstances, and trust God.

Reese

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artesian Wells, Creeks and Downtown Prattville, Alabama

When you put these two photos together, what do you think you get?  You got it, a rope swing waiting for some daring young (or old) soul to swing out over the creek and create a big splash! This is Autauga Creek, which cuts through the heart of downtown Prattville.  In fact this very section of the creek, along with it's rope swing, is about a minute from downtown, and is located beside one of Prattville's many artesian wells, which is actually what I had gone to see.   I had heard about the wells, where people take their water bottles (I'm talking the BIG kind) and fill them up on a regular basis.  But I had never actually been there.  And to think it is absolutely FREE?!?  I had to see for myself... Sure enough, when I pulled into the lot at the Doster Road Artesian Well House I was not alone.  A car was ahead of me and the man was filling his large, blue water bottle, the kind you normally see dispensing water at your office.  While I was waiting I tr

The Wilderness Park, Prattville, Alabama: Taking a Break in the Park

Yesterday morning I decided to grab my camera, ditch the outdoor chores, and head to the Wilderness Park here in Prattville, Alabama.  I'm so glad I did!  Although I wore flip flops, which was a poor choice for a roughly 1/2 mile hike, it was not that bad because I was constantly pausing to take pictures.  It was nice to get away from the routine for a while.  As I was pulling into the parking lot, an older gentleman and his dog were getting in their car to leave.  As I wandered the path, I came upon a young couple relaxing on one of the many park benches, kicked back and chatting.  And as you'll see in one of the later pictures, young lovers have left their mark, too. As you follow the path, the patch slopes down, leading you deeper into the park.  Shortly you come to a "Y", and if you take a right, you will go over the dam.  Above is a photo of the path going over the dam, with bamboo draping across, forming a canopy.  Looking off to the right side of t

$25.00 Gift Certificate Giveaway -- Change can be a good thing!

Here's a departure from my usual post.  Have you thought about changing up your home decor?  Let's take the dining room, for instance.  What is your preference?  Is it modern dining room furniture ?  Do you like the country style?  How about minimalist?  Or are you like me and is it traditional? Actually, I would say I am a throw back to the lines of the 1950s and 1960s.  I love the burnished nickel or brass, the clean lines, etc., you find on furniture common to that era.  My dining room, however, has a touch of everything.  I inherited my grandparents' dining table and chairs, which is absolutely beautiful.  I also inherited their corner china cabinet which was made by my dad for my grandparents' 25th wedding anniversary .  I also have a framed mirror in shades of silver. Everything looks good and goes well with my hardwood floors.  Maybe I should just update the curtains or the linens.  I think I'll head over to CSN Stores (which has over 200 online stores and