Skip to main content

What could have been considered a disaster...

Some days it seems that EVERYTHING goes wrong!  And I mean from beginning to end.  Friday was one of those days for me.  Fortunately, things did get better...

It started out with getting to work and finding out that the a/c was not working.  We called the repair company who gave us a price and later a time frame (Monday or Tuesday of this week!).  It kept getting hotter and hotter in the office.  Granted, I do live and work in the hot, sticky south, so being hot is not anything new -- if I am outside.  However, one does expect a certain level of comfort inside.  That wasn't happening Friday.  I had a fan blowing, but by the time the afternoon rolled around, I had sweated (oops, one of my friends says I should use the word "glisten" instead of sweat) so much that my entire backside was wet.  Yuck!  I asked my boss not to ask me into his office if clients came in, I was so embarrassed.  By the time I left at 20 'til 5:00 it was 85° inside the office. 

I went home and thought I might go to the gym and sweat legitimately.  But when I walked into the sunroom at my house, I started smelling something and noticed water on the floor along the wall.  What on earth!?!  I tried to clean it up, then traced it to it's source and found the door to the freezer popped open, and the freezer dripping.  I don't know if the freezer died, but everything inside it had!  I spent the next couple of hours emptying the contents of the freezer -- I was able to save all of the non-meat items for my compost pile.  And I really didn't have that much meat in there.  And I had bought the meat at Winn Dixie in their buy one get one free deals, so it really wasn't that bad.  Then I pushed the freezer outside onto the back patio so it could air out.  I took a mop and cleaned up the water, then used a heavy hand with the Lysol and mopped the floor again.  By this time I was drenched with sweat!  No need to go to the gym, I was literally worked out!  Oh, the rain started to fall!  The temperature dropped -- well maybe a degree or so. 

That wasn't the end of the day.  The boys were stirring for a fight.  Two teenage boys.  Why don't you do this?  Why don't you let us do that?  We are old enough to make our own decisions (NOT!!).  You don't let us have any freedoms (SO not true!).  Why?  Why?  Why? they said. You don't love us.  We don't love you... Hey, guess I'm doing a good job if I'm getting these kinds of complaints, right?

Oh my, the day was finally over and I was totally exhausted, physically and mentally.  I think I finally went to sleep about 1:30 in the morning.

Then I was up at 8:00 on Saturday.  I tried to sleep late.  I really did, but I couldn't (don't laugh, mom!).  So I dressed to exercise.  I tried to wake up my youngest and see if he wanted to go play tennis, but being a teen and having stayed up so late, he was not interested!  So I made cinnamon rolls (the kind out of a can, I wasn't going to be THAT domestic), told both boys through their haze of sleep that I was going to the gym, and went and had a very nice work out.  Isn't it amazing what physical exercise will do for you mentally?  Well, it also makes me want to do stuff physically, too.  When I got home, I made home made bread pudding, potato salad for supper, meat loaf for Sunday's lunch, pasta salad as a special request for Sunday and prepared pizza burgers for dinner.  Then I "walked" the freezer out to the shed and left it inside with it's door open (later I'll plug it in and see if it still works, but I'm not moving it back to the sunroom!).  I even managed some time to make a pillow case for my youngest son out of some camouflage fabric he found in my scrap bag. 

Sunday was a great day at church.  The sermon was from Ephesians 3:14-21 and our Sunday school lesson was on Revelation 13.  At six my regular Sunday night Bible study group met a my house and had a great lesson on the topic of prayer by Max Lucado.  Getting together with girlfriends, my sisters in Christ, is always wonderful and a highlight of the week.  To finish it all off, I had a phone call from another girlfriend, and the boys and I went out and had ICE CREAM! 

And what girl doesn't need to hear this every once in a while:  "hey, you look like you've lost weight!"  Spoken by a friend while at the gym yesterday afternoon.

Listen to this (pointed out in yesterday's sermon) from Ephesians 3:20 - 21 "Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end."  Think about this.  God is able to do what we ask or think.  That's great! But not only is He able to do anything we ask or think, He is able to do ABOVE ALL that we ask or think.  And He is able to do ABUNDANTLY above all that we ask or think.  And finally, most importantly, He is able to do EXCEEDING abundantly above all that we ask or think! I feel that's exactly what He did for me this weekend. 

Reese

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artesian Wells, Creeks and Downtown Prattville, Alabama

When you put these two photos together, what do you think you get?  You got it, a rope swing waiting for some daring young (or old) soul to swing out over the creek and create a big splash! This is Autauga Creek, which cuts through the heart of downtown Prattville.  In fact this very section of the creek, along with it's rope swing, is about a minute from downtown, and is located beside one of Prattville's many artesian wells, which is actually what I had gone to see.   I had heard about the wells, where people take their water bottles (I'm talking the BIG kind) and fill them up on a regular basis.  But I had never actually been there.  And to think it is absolutely FREE?!?  I had to see for myself... Sure enough, when I pulled into the lot at the Doster Road Artesian Well House I was not alone.  A car was ahead of me and the man was filling his large, blue water bottle, the kind you normally see dispensing water at your office.  While I was waiting I tr

$25.00 Gift Certificate Giveaway -- Change can be a good thing!

Here's a departure from my usual post.  Have you thought about changing up your home decor?  Let's take the dining room, for instance.  What is your preference?  Is it modern dining room furniture ?  Do you like the country style?  How about minimalist?  Or are you like me and is it traditional? Actually, I would say I am a throw back to the lines of the 1950s and 1960s.  I love the burnished nickel or brass, the clean lines, etc., you find on furniture common to that era.  My dining room, however, has a touch of everything.  I inherited my grandparents' dining table and chairs, which is absolutely beautiful.  I also inherited their corner china cabinet which was made by my dad for my grandparents' 25th wedding anniversary .  I also have a framed mirror in shades of silver. Everything looks good and goes well with my hardwood floors.  Maybe I should just update the curtains or the linens.  I think I'll head over to CSN Stores (which has over 200 online stores and

The Wilderness Park, Prattville, Alabama: Taking a Break in the Park

Yesterday morning I decided to grab my camera, ditch the outdoor chores, and head to the Wilderness Park here in Prattville, Alabama.  I'm so glad I did!  Although I wore flip flops, which was a poor choice for a roughly 1/2 mile hike, it was not that bad because I was constantly pausing to take pictures.  It was nice to get away from the routine for a while.  As I was pulling into the parking lot, an older gentleman and his dog were getting in their car to leave.  As I wandered the path, I came upon a young couple relaxing on one of the many park benches, kicked back and chatting.  And as you'll see in one of the later pictures, young lovers have left their mark, too. As you follow the path, the patch slopes down, leading you deeper into the park.  Shortly you come to a "Y", and if you take a right, you will go over the dam.  Above is a photo of the path going over the dam, with bamboo draping across, forming a canopy.  Looking off to the right side of t