Skip to main content

The Heavens Declare God's Glory!



Sunset view from my parent's home in central Alabama
 
 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. 
Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard. 
Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world.  In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.  His going forth is from the end of heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it:  and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof." 
Psalm 19: 1-6

Yesterday morning as I was driving to work, I chose a different route and was so glad I did!  As I crested a hill and looked towards the east, I saw blankets of fog tucked into the valleys below.  Just ribbons of clouds lying close to the ground.  Above you could see beautiful, clear blue skies.  The scene made me smile, and brought to mind the above portion of  Psalm 19. 

I am a very visual person.  Therefore, I think in terms of color, pattern and texture.  What if we didn't see color?  Was it necessary that we see color?  When you see what has been created, and the variety of colors, styles, smells and textures, can you believe that things just happened?  How about how far we are to the sun, or how close, for that matter?  What about the exact tilt of the earth on it's axis?  What about our placement in the Milky Way, or even in the universe?  How can a person believe that there is no God, no Creator? 

To me, this shows that Someone wanted us to have the privilege and pleasure to enjoy His creation.  God has given us the beauty of the earth to enjoy, to share, and to be used to point the way to the Lord.  Care should be taken, however, not to worship the creation, but to worship the Creator.  All praise and glory should go to Him.

Listen to the first and last verses of this hymn penned by Folliot S. Pierpoint:

For the Beauty of the Earth

For the beauty of the earth,
for the glory of the skies,
for the love which from our birth
over and around us lies;
Lord of all, to thee we raise,
this our hymn of grateful praise.

For thyself, best Gift Divine,
to the world so freely given,
for that great, great love of thine,
peace on earth, and joy in heaven:
Lord of all, to thee we raise
this our hymn of grateful praise.

Truly, "the heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artesian Wells, Creeks and Downtown Prattville, Alabama

When you put these two photos together, what do you think you get?  You got it, a rope swing waiting for some daring young (or old) soul to swing out over the creek and create a big splash! This is Autauga Creek, which cuts through the heart of downtown Prattville.  In fact this very section of the creek, along with it's rope swing, is about a minute from downtown, and is located beside one of Prattville's many artesian wells, which is actually what I had gone to see.   I had heard about the wells, where people take their water bottles (I'm talking the BIG kind) and fill them up on a regular basis.  But I had never actually been there.  And to think it is absolutely FREE?!?  I had to see for myself... Sure enough, when I pulled into the lot at the Doster Road Artesian Well House I was not alone.  A car was ahead of me and the man was filling his large, blue water bottle, the kind you normally see dispensing water at your office.  While I was waiting I tr

$25.00 Gift Certificate Giveaway -- Change can be a good thing!

Here's a departure from my usual post.  Have you thought about changing up your home decor?  Let's take the dining room, for instance.  What is your preference?  Is it modern dining room furniture ?  Do you like the country style?  How about minimalist?  Or are you like me and is it traditional? Actually, I would say I am a throw back to the lines of the 1950s and 1960s.  I love the burnished nickel or brass, the clean lines, etc., you find on furniture common to that era.  My dining room, however, has a touch of everything.  I inherited my grandparents' dining table and chairs, which is absolutely beautiful.  I also inherited their corner china cabinet which was made by my dad for my grandparents' 25th wedding anniversary .  I also have a framed mirror in shades of silver. Everything looks good and goes well with my hardwood floors.  Maybe I should just update the curtains or the linens.  I think I'll head over to CSN Stores (which has over 200 online stores and

The Wilderness Park, Prattville, Alabama: Taking a Break in the Park

Yesterday morning I decided to grab my camera, ditch the outdoor chores, and head to the Wilderness Park here in Prattville, Alabama.  I'm so glad I did!  Although I wore flip flops, which was a poor choice for a roughly 1/2 mile hike, it was not that bad because I was constantly pausing to take pictures.  It was nice to get away from the routine for a while.  As I was pulling into the parking lot, an older gentleman and his dog were getting in their car to leave.  As I wandered the path, I came upon a young couple relaxing on one of the many park benches, kicked back and chatting.  And as you'll see in one of the later pictures, young lovers have left their mark, too. As you follow the path, the patch slopes down, leading you deeper into the park.  Shortly you come to a "Y", and if you take a right, you will go over the dam.  Above is a photo of the path going over the dam, with bamboo draping across, forming a canopy.  Looking off to the right side of t